Saturday 15 May 2010

Insights

The past several posts have documented the manufacturing processes that turned a few scraps of wood and several used plastic bottles into a functional and comfortable brush.



The sequence of posts highlighted a small amount of the functional potential plastic bottles have, however a problem relating to second-life products in general was also highlighted: Why?

I could list several reasons stating why second-life products are a positive creation: prevents 'useful' rubbish going to landfill, helps develop creative and manufacturing skills and saves users spending money on an object they could make themselves. All these examples are true, though I must ask the question "Would I have made the brush if I hadn't been doing this project?"

Not every individual has the same ideas or is influenced by the same things as I, and as a designer I must remember that not everyone in the world is like me. I must not design selfishly, but instead design selflessly for the end user.

No comments: