Saturday 15 May 2010

I feel like sweeping tonight


To keep with the theme of reusing and recycling materials, I used old scrap pieces of wood I found in the workshop and fitted and glued them all together, similar to completing a jigsaw. This technique is also used by Piet Hein Eek (look for previous posts).


After cutting the shape for the brush head, I bored pre-measured holes into the block of wood. These would eventually house the appropriate bottle caps to ensure the plastic bottle 'bristles' could be screwed in securely.


I thought a screw would secure the bottle caps in place, and they did, however when unscrewing the bristles, the rotation of the process was simply spinning the bottle cap and I could not get the bristles free. This would be problematic when needing to change the bristles. A small nail was added to each bottle cap to hold it in place when unscrewing the bristles.


I had underestimated the length of the screws and once in place, the seven screw points had broken through the back of the wood. The sharp points would prove dangerous if anyone attempted to handle the brush so I simply filed down the points so they were flush with the wood.


Before making the stock unit that would house the handle and be attached to the brush head, I had an idea for a similar but handier product. This showed how one idea can be developed and refined to become even more functional (look out for future posts on the hand brush).

No comments: