Sunday 2 May 2010

bottlemania

I have my product (plastic bottle) that will provide the raw material for my second-life object, and I understand the principle that to become a second-life object a first-life one must be subjected to manufacturing processes. So, which processes?

I started in the workshop by heating some plastic bottles in the 'plastics oven' to find out if I might be able to create a raw plastic material that could then be heated, shaped, blown, etc. To my disappointment the plastic bottles did not melt as I had hoped, however, they did shrink dramatically in size and increase dramatically in strength.


I was still able to cut the bottles fairly easily with a stanley knife, but where I cut, a smooth but strong edge was left. I then cut several lengths down the bottle and was left with a very crude 'bristle'.


No comments: