Tuesday 8 June 2010

guillotine re-think

Maybe I was being a little hasty, maybe I was going about the flywheel press the wrong way.

I was trying to think of something after I made the blade profile and cut the bottle - chances are I won't find a good second-life function that way. I need to design the function and form first, then make the blade to match.



Straight-cut blade - can cut across but also make zigzag



Shuttlecock-like shape, or use the natural shape of the bottle to make a quick whisk



Think about the shape carefully because if affects the outcome of the design



Too 'crafty' - look at the small/large-scale opportunities for business/selling. Twee items like this might sell in small craft/giftshops but the big fish eludes second-life objects like this.

Maybe I use the flywheel and then add something else to make the actual object. Don't limit yourself by thinking the manufacture ends with the flywheel press!



Look at the negative, the leftover material - maybe that is the useful piece - the part with the thread OR the part with the bottom.

Thread - can screw into something else (like bottle brush)

Base - functional as a storage device (people have made flower vases from these parts)



Sketch of the guillotine, showing how multiple bottles would fit into the same gap.



Window boxes for flowers - similar to the re-blowmolded milk cartons. This idea would require the window box to be built, from scrap wood?



Some good sketches and some concepts that would obviously need developing, but I still can't get excited about the flywheel press. I dont see the outcome and I think its time to change course for good. But some good material - look at adding something to the plastic bottle to make it more valuable, rather than cutting it, etc.

No comments: