Saturday 23 January 2010

Sneaky sneaky council... well done!

I have found that the lack of adoption of green products and technology (or at least, the slow rate of adoption) is because it is so easy not to adopt. Individuals, and even businesses and governments want to go green, but just need someone to give them a detailed, step-by-step plan of how to do so.

After watching a tedtalk with Seth Godin, I noted that people are for more likely to do an activity if they DONT have to OPT IN to do it, but to not do it they have to actively OPT OUT. This could well be the key to having the whole planet's population going green!

Incidentally, a couple of months after the tedtalk, the council delivered to my door a food waste recycling bin and a leaflet explaining the councils weekly pick-up service, etc. I first thought to myself great! People dont want to have to go out and buy a recycling bin, they want the council to deliver it and pick up the waste every week, simple! However, due to experience and conversations ive had with some individuals, ive found that even solutions like these can be a pain for SOME individuals as they cant really be bothered to put the (recyclable or food, etc) waste in a seperate bin.

But I kept reading, and I found an ingenious solution to the sheer laziness of those individuals. The council might well have seen the same tedtalk as me because on the second page was a declaration form stating that if you did not want the bin or for the council to pick up the food waste, you had to tick the box stating that you DIDNT WANT TO USE THE SERVICE, and then you had to send this form off the council!

Some sceptics may say that this is an abuse of free will, or that it is playing on peoples weaknesses but I say screw them. It is the planet were trying to save here, and ourselves and if ths is the kick up the arse some individuals need then I really dont care about their weaknesses, in fact you cant even call laziness a weakness, as I feel it is an attribute that should have been rid of years ago!

No comments: